SUPER STOCK! Immune boosting soup to fend off the ick.
As the Heartstone Herbal School "Food Goddess", I've had a LOT of requests for recipes over the years. This is one I've been making each season when the students study the immune system. The stock (veggie or bone based) is infused with herbal magic to fend off the baddies. The soup itself, reminiscent of Thai Tom Kha, is finished with an extra kick that will have the germs running for the hills! Enjoy!
- 1 3 - 4 lb whole chicken (optional)
- 1 Tbs. cider vinegar (optional)
- 1 med - lg onion, skin on (for color), quartered
- 2 stalks celery, cut into 3" (roughly) pieces
- 2 lg carrots, cut into 3" (roughly) pieces
- 4 cloves garlic, whole (skin and all)
- 1 tsp whole peppercorns
- veggie scraps (If you've got 'em, might as well use 'em)
- 1 SUPER STOCK herb bundle (a blend of: reishi, shitake, codonopsis, and astragalus. Omit the astragalus if actively sick. Keep it if you're fending something off!)
Place chicken (if using) and cider vinegar (if using chicken) in a large stock pot. Cover with cool water and allow to sit for 30 min. This breaks down the cartilage in the bird, infusing your broth with a beautiful amount of glucosamine.
Add the remaining ingredients, add more water if necessary to cover with 2" or so at the top. Cover. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat, and simmer for 1 hour, and up to 3 hours, adding water as necessary. Strain, reserving chicken meat, and set aside.
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 6-8 c SUPER STOCK!
- 1 lb shitake mushroom tops, sliced or torn
- 1/2 small cabbage, chopped
- 1 small bunch kale, stemmed and chopped
- reserved chicken meat, shredded (optional)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (let sit for 10 min after chopping to release more immune boosting power!
- 2 - 3 Tbs. fresh ginger, grated (or to taste)
- 1 - 2 cans coconut milk (to taste)
- 1 lemon, juiced
- cayenne to taste
- salt to taste
- 1/4 c parsley or cilantro, chopped fine
In a large soup pot, sauté onion, carrots, and celery over med - low heat with a pinch of salt until slightly soft. Add 6-8 c stock, bring to a boil. Reduce heat to med-low. Add mushroom tops, cabbage, and kale. Simmer until the kale is bright green and tender (about 10 min). Add ginger, and garlic. Simmer until fragrant. Turn off heat. Add parsley (or cilantro) coconut milk, lemon, cayenne, and salt to taste. garnish with parsley (or cilantro). Enjoy!
I make this for family and friends whenever a cold strikes, or the flu is going around our community. The coconut milk adds a nice comfort food quality without the phlegm so often associated with dairy. The ginger and cayenne add a kick that will not only support the immune system, but will help clear congestion as well.
I hope you enjoy these recipes as much as I do!
with love and song,
the Food Goddess